PRACTICE THIS WEEK
Friday: Practice at 3:45 for everyone
Saturday: Games at Minneapolis (Make up date from Thursday’s postponed game)
JV Boys 12:30 in New Gym
C Boys 2:00 in Old Gym
Varsity Boys 3:30 in New Gym
Sunday: Tournament Team Practice TBA
HOISINGTON WINTER JAM
Brackets are out for the 2018 Hoisington Winter Jam. Russell will be the #5 seed and play Hoisington at 8:15 on Tuesday at the Activity Center.
NEW YEAR’S DAY OLYMPICS
How Smart Players Avoid Turnovers and Charges from PGC. Mo-Stops, and Mo-Changes
Breaking Windows from PGC. Mediocre passers pass around and over defenders. Great passers pass through the defender
The Power of Eyes from PGC. A great video about giving your coaches eye contact.
A Habit of Great Floor Leaders from PGC. Super video about the importance of giving reminders.
Cross-Over Training Video from I Basketball TV-good workout for individual time.
Getting our Program into SCHAPE!
- Championship level play requires large amounts of energy
- Great teams are spirited and enthusiastic
- Poor teams are mundane and monotonous
- Spirit is needed the most when you feel like giving it the least. "Act as If"
"We can have talking, clapping, or running" Billy Gillespie
- High level practice is noisy
- Need even more spirit from players on the sideline (either not in the drill or injured)
- Why no Spirit?
- Coaches don't bring it.
- It's the players job to be positive and bring spirit
- You don't feel like it.
- Three ways to increase spirit
- High Five's
- Chest Bumps
- Butt Slaps
- Why don't teams talk?
- Lack of Confidence
- Afraid to put it out there
- Don't understand the importance of their voice
"Not talking on a basketball court is like missing a lay up." Jeff Capel
"We have a special place for strong silent types--THE BENCH!" Mike Krzyewski
- NITE Communication
- People love to hear their names, draw attention to them
- Say names first before giving any information or feedback
- Basketball information relative to what is happening on the floor
- T-Tone of Voice
- Its not what you say, it's how you say it
- E-Eye Contact
- #1 way to dictate communication
- How to Communicate
- Say what you are doing
- Tell teammate what they are doing
90% of all communication is Non-Verbal
- Leading by example is not enough; but it is necessary
- Don't be a 50/50 player where you work hard 50% of the time and find 50% of the time to take it easy
- Be a sheep dog
- Heard sheep to do the necessary things together
- Be persistent and hard working until the task is completed
- Be the first one to every drill/station
- Hustle is contagious. So is lack of hustle. Want do you want our program to be known for?
- Control what you can control; don’[t worry about what you can’t control
- Consistency of disposition
- Mental Toughness
- Don’t be a victim of the environment
- Own you emotions; don’t let emotions own you
- Focus on bigger things. Maximize time.
- Having the discipline to do something as well as it can be done every single time even if it is uncomfortable or inconvenient.
- Most people are happy to do stuff pretty well. They will cut corners and be happy to just “get by.”
- Precision is doing all of the things that say “I care enough to be above average.”
- Develop a ridiculous attention to detail.
- Would you want a sloppy or undisiciplined doctor, attorney, or pilot? Or would you want a doctor, attorney, or pilot that pays attention to detail?
- Coaches want players that pay attention to detail.
- Greatness is being able to do over and over again things others do every once in awhile.
- Enhance: to positively contribute to an environment or unselfishly offer a service
- Contribute, don’t contaminate
- Leave environments better than you found it
- ETDMTYS (expect to do more than your share)